When Asthma Inhalers don't Work

Question:  I’m asthmatic, and I find it especially hard to breathe in the morning during wintertime.  I tend to cough a lot and it’s quite overwhelming – to the point where I can no longer take my reliever inhaler to relieve the condition.  I get into a series of uncontrollable coughing fits and inability to use my inhaler and this really bothers me.  How do I deal with this?
Asthma Inhalers
Answer:
Firstly, try to drink a glass of warm fluid, stat, on cold winter mornings.  Tea or coffee are a great choice;  If you have to prepare your drink yourself, cover your mouth with a cloth while fixing yourself a cup, and try to take shallow breaths.  Use warm water, not boiling water, when you prepare your drink so you can drink it immediately.

Second, the series of uncontrollable coughing and inability to breathe while you take inhalers are not uncommon – though this can be bothersome.  The best way to deal with this is through using a contraption that works between your inhaler and your mouth.  These devices come in a variety of names including air chambers, inhaler chambers or inhaler assistants.  This usually works by fitting the inhaler into a round chamber where the medication is released through one “puff” into the chamber.  You then inhale the air coming from the chamber.

The reason why this works is that it eliminates the urgency of needing to inhale right then and there if you place the inhaler right into your mouth.  Being able to take sharp spurts of the medication from the chamber should solve the problem.  Best of luck!

Title Post: When Asthma Inhalers don't Work
Author: Annisa Maharani

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please SHARE and SUBSCRIBE! Thanks.

No comments :

Post a Comment